Find us on Facebook
  Follow us on Twitter
Comets WIN the Championship Shield!
Photo by Dave Payne
Mon 29 Oct 2018 by Comets Press Office
The Comets have created history after their third title success in five days.
Following on from their Knock-out Cup and Championship titles the Comets have completed a remarkable treble by clinching their third title in just five days after defeating the Lakeside Hammers once again; this time 52-38, to clinch the Championship Shield with a 98-82 aggregate victory on a bitterly cold night at Derwent Park.

In comparison to securing their other two titles earlier in the week this was a far less intense affair as, unlike their ko cup and league title second legs, they had no deficit to make up as a result of having brought a two-point advantage back from the away leg into the second leg following their 46-44 victory at Hoddesdon 10 days previously.

Meanwhile, success on the night ensured that they had remarkably gone through all ten Championship Shield fixtures undefeated; having recorded six wins and four draws in this years' competition.

The Hammers understandably gave a better display than in the previous evenings' Play-off Grand Final, having become more accustomed to track conditions. But, nevertheless, having taken a maximum heat advantage from the opening race the Comets led throughout and secured aggregate victory in heat 11, after which they could afford to take less risks with the pressure removed.

With another great team effort the Comets provided ten race winners and recorded four maximum heat advantages while the Hammers recorded ten last places with their three heat leaders scoring all bar seven of their points and their reserves being out-scored nineteen points to two by their Comets counterparts.

Following on from their victory the Comets faced Lakeside once again in their outstanding league Championship fixture. However, with temperatures dropping rapidly this fixture had to be abandoned after just four heat due to an icy track, with the Comets 18-6 ahead at the time.

This is the third time this fixture has failed to be completed; having been abandoned on August 25th following Dan Bewley's serious third heat accident and then having been rained off on October 20th. There is now no time left to re-stage the league fixture before the end of the season, which will unfortunately render the Championship table incomplete.

Comets co-promoter and team manager Tony Jackson said: “Once we started the outstanding twice postponed league fixture and it soon became apparent the track was starting to freeze and the riders were struggling to control their machines.

“With each race it was getting more and more treacherous, and riders of both sides were not keen to continue, which was perfectly understandable.

“By the time the fourth race had finished the temperature was down to minus one, the infield was starting to go white and the track had a layer of ice and frost on it. To see the bends white with frost was something I have never seen happen in over 45 years of following the sport and the abandonment was the only sensible course of action to take under the circumstances before someone got hurt.”
Copyright Notice :  The text content of articles appearing on this website may be copied and/or reproduced for other media outlets and formats providing the article remains intact and unedited, and the source is clearly acknowledged as ""
Last Updated :  Sun 04 Nov 2018, 10:12 UK - official club website.
©2019 Workington Speedway. All Rights Reserved.

Dave Payne, Adrian Randall